Thursday, March 24, 2016

A thoughtful post

Just a bit of me rambling on about perspective... I will intersperse with photos for fun :)

I am, by nature, an extremely shy person who is not comfortable in person with many people. But I discovered when I first worked retail when I was younger that I love doing it, I love the interactions with people. Sure you get sore feet and sometimes people are mean and you work when your friends are generally off, but I love it!

My first #quiltforrefugees finished
When I worked in clothing retail I helped people feel better about themselves by helping them find clothes that fit and were flattering... everyone needs an ego boost and they are free to give :)

When I worked at Starbucks I helped set the mood of people's days. Just like Norm in Cheers, I always knew their name, knew their drinks, knew what was going on in their lives, and they knew I would always have a smile for them.

Then I went to school to get a "real job" and became a paralegal. I like the law, it interests me, but it isn't a passion. I am often encouraged to go back to school and become a lawyer, but no thanks, not for me. I don't seek being the top of the heap, that's for other people, I am good where I am.

the second top I pieced for Libs
I am back working retail again, although only part time sadly. And I am thrilled!! I love being back in it and talking to people and helping them out. Recently I had a sweet customer who was making her second ever quilt for her sweet 96 year old grandma who had just moved into a home. She chose a really fun HST pattern with a large heart in the centre. She wanted to have the quilt done for Easter to give it to her Grandma. When she had the top done she brought it in and showed me and picked out a backing and binding. You could just tell how important it was for her to make this for her Grandma. At out guild meeting on Monday she sought me out and let me know that she had gotten a call from her Mom that her Grandma had taken a turn for the worse. She raced around finishing the quilt, binding it at super speed and managed to bring it to her Grandma ten hours before she passed. I cannot tell you how incredibly glad I was that I had been a small part of this gift of love. It's the kind of thing that I was able to be a part simply because I work retail.

a mug rug I made for a swap
You see, when someone talks about someone working in retail it often is coming from a negative place. But I honestly love being able to do it and consider myself lucky.

Thanks for listening to my little tale LOL.

5 comments:

  1. My heart just swelled a thousand times. Thank you so much. I was hoping the quilting community would help me find more of my people and I'm so glad to say that it has! xo Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have high powered career aspirations, I never have. All my jobs have been customer service type roles. In my current role as a library assistant, I get to know a lot of the patrons by name, talk to them about the books they like, recommend new ones, meet their children. I am sure for some people, that the interaction they have with people like us (retail/service) is the only human contact they have on a daily basis, and I want to make sure it is one they enjoy.

    Love your story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy...this is such a beautiful post!!! It made my heart swell reading it. You are a beautiful person inside and out and I'm so happy I got to meet you IRL. XOXO my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so lucky to have you Katy, and the customer's too! Wish you could come to my LQS - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a touching story. Thank you for sharing it.

    It's interesting that you're shy by nature. You must be very comfortable with the quilt crowd because I always find you so outgoing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents!