Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Franklin Quilt

As most people know, Denyse Schmidt is one of my favourite designers (if not the favourite). I love so many of her lines and I find that they work great for "man quilts" without resorting to blues and greys.

I started off making this quilt with a male recipient in mind. Sadly situations have changed and now it will be a quilt for sale. (nobody died!)


The pattern is from the book Beyond Neutral by John Q. Adams. I had been wanting this book for a while and luckily one of my friends had it but didn't love it so we did a trade. When I saw this pattern I fell in love.


I did things a little differently, John has you adding corners as they are single blocks and then matching them up with a mate. I wanted to be sure I liked my couplings first and so sewed them together before adding corners.

I finished up the top yesterday and will be getting it longarmed by Sharyn at work who runs Quilting Stitches longarm services. It is far too big for me to maneuver. I just need to decide if I want brown thread or cream... I am leaning toward brown.


I do love the finished result and could easily see doing it again with different fabrics.

8 comments:

  1. It turned out great! I wasn't the most fond of Franklin, but seeing it in use makes me like it a lot more :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning colours together, I especially love the chocolate sashings. Maybe this could be mu future AMH quilt - another possibility to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Girlie! I didn't know about rhat book (purposefully out of loop at the moment) but John lives in my state and has visited our guild. Love your take! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's beautiful. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great quilt. Modern and retro at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your version is great! I like your version better than the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I also think brown thread would look best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents!